Pumpkin Hacking 101
Let’s explore a marketing methodology that goes by the funny name of “Pumpkin hacking.”
Contrary to what it may sound like, pumpkin hacking doesn’t involve prize-winning vegetables. Rather, it’s a simple SEO strategy that can help boost your site’s traffic.
Here’s what you need to know.
What Is Pumpkin Hacking?
Pumpkin hacking is a method of content creation that focuses on generating leads and boosting organic SEO traffic. It does this by following a specific series of steps designed to produce valuable, long-term content.
The Pumpkin Hacking Process
- Step 1: Plant your seeds. When it comes to content, your seeds are your marketing ideas. To succeed at digital or content marketing, you need to test marketing ideas by publishing content on a regular basis. Doing this will allow you to track your analytics and determine which content types your customers like the most.
- Step 2: Nurture your seeds. Once you’ve published content, you need to nurture it through promotion. This includes social sharing, PPC advertisements, email newsletters and organic traffic. Promotion will help your content gain more traction and expand its reach on the Web.
- Step 3: Prune it down. When a farmer plants his seeds, he has to go back in a number of weeks to thin the crop so that the strongest plants will have ample sunlight and water. The same idea applies to your content. Once you’ve begun publishing and promoting your content, you’ll quickly gain insight as to what’s working and what’s not. At this point, it’s important to direct the majority of your efforts to your most successful content and to either remove everything else entirely or, at the very least, cut it back significantly.
- Step 4: Nurture the largest fruit. Once you’ve determined which pieces of your content strategy are outperforming everything else, it’s time to dedicate your focus to those things. Focus the majority of your content marketing efforts on your top content topics and build as much traffic and social shares for those pieces as possible.
- Step 5: Enjoy your harvest. Once you’ve whittled your content strategy down to your best, most popular content, you’ll be able to half your content creation efforts and watch the traffic roll in.
While it may not seem like pumpkins have much to do with content creation, this proven content creation method can help organizations generate leads and gain visibility in a marketplace.